Titles & Registration

In order to assist the public, the Tax Collector’s office is providing general information below regarding motor vehicles. For more detailed information, please access the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website or contact the Tax Collector’s office.


  • Forms may be obtained from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles forms web page or in our resources page.
  • A motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within ten days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school or establishing residency.
  • When you purchase a new motor vehicle, bring a motor vehicle into the state or at any time the ownership of the motor vehicle changes, you must apply for a title and registration in your name.

Motor Vehicle Titles

To title and register a motor vehicle in the applicant's name, please bring the following items to the Tax Collector’s office:

  • NEW Motor Vehicle: the 1) Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin completed by the selling dealer, and 2) invoice or bill of sale from the selling dealer.
  • USED Motor Vehicle: the title properly completed for transfer by the seller, and a bill of sale from seller to purchaser.
    • OUT OF STATE Titles: if providing an out of state title for transfer, the vehicle identification number must be verified by a Florida law enforcement officer, Florida notary or the vehicle can be brought to the Tax Collector’s offices for verification by an employee. Please use form Application For Certificate Of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV 82040 section 8 to complete the required verification).
    • In addition, proof of your valid FLORIDA motor vehicle insurance is required.

Every person applying for ownership on a new or used motor vehicle must complete one of the following:

Sales tax must be paid unless the transaction is exempt. If purchased from a dealer, proof must be submitted indicating the dealer has already collected the sales tax.

Title application fees range from $75.25 and up

Motor Vehicle Duplicate Titles

  • The owner(s)* of record for a motor vehicle may apply for a duplicate title.
  • An Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate (HSMV 82101) must be completed in detail and can be submitted to the Tax Collector's office.
  • If there is an outstanding lien (i.e. finance company, lending institution, etc.), only the lien holder can apply for a duplicate title. If the lien has been satisfied, a lien satisfaction form must be presented.
  • If your title was issued in another state, you must apply for the duplicate title through the proper department / division of that state.
  • Fast Titles are a title that can be obtained while you are at the Tax Collector's office. The fee is an additional $10.00 for motor vehicles.
A fee of $77.75 is required to obtain a Florida duplicate motor vehicle title.
A fee of $77.75 is required to obtain a Florida duplicate motor vehicle title.

Motor Vehicle Registrations

Registrations may be renewed for one or two years and are due for renewal by the birth date of the first owner listed on the registration.

  • Florida law does not provide for motor vehicle registration renewal notices, although the Tax Collector of Indian River County does mail out courtesy renewal notices. These courtesy renewal notices are mailed 4 weeks prior to the month in which the registration expires; from data compiled by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
  • In order to renew motor vehicle registrations, you will need the following items:
    • Previous registration, registration renewal notice or license plate number.
    • Current proof of Florida automobile insurance issued by a Florida insurance agent or broker.
    • If renewing in the Tax Collector’s office; proper identification is required by the check presenter or credit card holder.
    • Renewals may be made in the Tax Collector’s office or may be made online on this web site.
  • Initial, renewal or duplicate/replacement motor vehicle registrations can be obtained at the Tax Collector’s office.

NOTE: Not receiving a renewal notice by mail does not relieve the motor vehicle owner of their responsibility to timely renew their motor vehicle registration.

Selling Your Vehicle

When selling a vehicle, within 30 days, you must complete the Notice of Sale section on the back of the Certificate of Title or HSMV 82050. Submit the form to this office or the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV).

A person must surrender a Florida license plate by mail or in person in the following circumstances:

  • Cancel Florida insurance on the vehicle.
  • Sell the vehicle without transferring the license plate to a new vehicle.
  • Move to a new state and register the vehicle in that state.