Titles & Registration

In order to assist the public, the Tax Collector’s office is providing general information below regarding motor vehicles. For more detailed information, please access the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website or contact the Tax Collector’s office.

Motor Vehicle Titles

To title and register a motor vehicle in the applicant's name, please bring the following items to the Tax Collector’s office:

  • NEW Motor Vehicle: the 1) Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin completed by the selling dealer, and 2) invoice or bill of sale from the selling dealer.
  • USED Motor Vehicle: the title properly completed for transfer by the seller, and a bill of sale from seller to purchaser.
    • OUT OF STATE Titles: if providing an out of state title for transfer, the vehicle identification number must be verified by a Florida law enforcement officer, Florida notary or the vehicle can be brought to the Tax Collector’s offices for verification by an employee. Please use form Application For Certificate Of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV 82040 section 8 to complete the required verification).
    • In addition, proof of your valid FLORIDA motor vehicle insurance is required.

Sales tax must be paid unless the transaction is exempt. If purchased from a dealer, proof must be submitted indicating the dealer has already collected the sales tax.

Motor Vehicle Duplicate Titles

  • The owner(s)* of record for a motor vehicle may apply for a duplicate title.
  • An Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate (HSMV 82101) must be completed in detail and can be submitted to the Tax Collector's office.
  • If there is an outstanding lien (i.e. finance company, lending institution, etc.), only the lien holder can apply for a duplicate title. If the lien has been satisfied, a lien satisfaction form must be presented.
  • If your title was issued in another state, you must apply for the duplicate title through the proper department / division of that state.
  • Fast Titles are a title that can be obtained while you are at the Tax Collector's office. The fee is an additional $10.00 for motor vehicles.

Motor Vehicle Registrations

  • Florida law does not provide for motor vehicle registration renewal notices, although the Tax Collector of Indian River County does mail out courtesy renewal notices. These courtesy renewal notices are mailed 4 weeks prior to the month in which the registration expires; from data compiled by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
  • In order to renew motor vehicle registrations, you will need the following items:
    • Previous registration, registration renewal notice.
    • Current proof of Florida automobile insurance.
    • If renewing in the Tax Collector’s office; proper identification is required by the check presenter or credit card holder.
  • You may renew online by clicking here.

NOTE: Not receiving a renewal notice by mail does not relieve the motor vehicle owner of their responsibility to timely renew their motor vehicle registration.

Selling Your Vehicle

When selling a vehicle, within 30 days, you must complete the Notice of Sale section on the back of the Certificate of Title or HSMV 82050. Submit the form to this office or the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV).